The shuttle buses are protesting Super Metro's alleged control over their pick-up locations, allegations which Super Metro denies.
Nairobi Shuttle Buses Protest Super Metro Takeover And Rural Folks Have Taken Note
City Hoppa buses, on Friday March 10, blocked roads within the Nairobi Central Business District as a protest against Super Metro.
City Hoppa, and other operators City Shuttle and KBS claim that their pick-up locations have been taken over by Super Metro, but Super Metro asserts that they have been allocated separate and unique pick-up spots within the city center.
These Nairobi shuttle operators unlawfully brought traffic to a standstill. Their action has raised questions about whether their management had sanctioned the protests. In such situations, it is typically expected that infringements are resolved amicably through discussions or legal means by the respective company leadership.
Two days later, despite the protests, it's business as usual for all the shuttle operators including Super Metro. It's now imperative that companies involved in the illegal protests apologize to Kenyans for the inconvenience caused.
Well, on the bright side of things, thanks to the protests and the massive backlash they received online, folks from the countryside are now aware of a shuttle service that's affordable, safe and more customer centered for their next visit. So, in a way, those protests served as a sort of public service announcement for the folks in rural areas!
Below are the thoughts shared by city commuters as seen on Facebook on the state of the commuter industry and their own experiences.
The following measures can be taken by a commuter shuttle company to be competitive in a city full transportation options and clientele that is more discerning, knowledgeable, and experienced in their preferences and decision-making :
- Offer Competitive Pricing: Offering competitive pricing is a critical component of staying competitive. Set your prices accordingly after analyzing the prices offered by other transportation options.
- Provide Superior Service: The best way to set yourself apart from competing transportation options is to give your customers better service. This can include comfortable and clean vehicles, friendly and professional drivers, and on-time pick-up and drop-off.
- Use Technology to Enhance Service: Use technology to enhance your service offerings, such as mobile apps for booking and tracking rides, and in-vehicle amenities like Wi-Fi, charging ports, and entertainment systems.
- Create Loyalty Programs: Provide loyalty programs to reward devoted clients and promote repeat business. This could be referral bonuses, exclusive benefits for loyal consumers, or discounts or free rides for frequent users.
- Expand Service Areas: In order to reach additional customers, think about expanding your service areas. In order to provide more complete transportation solutions, this may involve partnering with other transportation providers or establishing new routes.
- Build Partnerships: To draw in new customers and improve awareness, form partnerships with local businesses, groups, and events organizers. This will create new income streams through offering shuttle services for meetings, collaborating with hotels to offer travel packages, or offering transportation for nearby festivals and events.
- Focus on Sustainability: By utilizing eco-friendly vehicles, lowering emissions, and encouraging carpooling and ride-sharing, you may position your company as a sustainable transportation choice.
By implementing these strategies, a commuter shuttle business can differentiate itself from other transportation options in the city and remain competitive in a crowded market.
Shuttle business managers that want to remain competitive must stay attuned to the evolving needs and expectations of their clients, and continuously strive to improve and adapt their offerings to meet those needs.
Become an iNews Digest member
Get the latest news right in your inbox. We never spam and it's free!
Give us a thumbs up and share our page with your friends to help us spread the word about our mission.
We'd love to connect with you and keep you up-to-date on all our latest news and events. Like and follow us now!"